Monday, May 6, 2013

A Few More Blocks and a Great Tip

I have been a busy bee lately! I got a few days where I was able to sit down, relax and just sew. The product has been three more Swoon blocks and a fantastic new discovery!

Block #3

Block #4

Block #5

I'm now at a grand total of 5 Swoon blocks. That means only 4 more to go! Whoopie! These blocks are a little painstaking, but totally worth it! I can't wait to snuggle up under this one!

Now, I have always used blue painter's tape for sewing diagonals, especially blocks like snowballs or flying geese. You can even use it for making half square triangles(HST) like Camille of Simplify does here. I normally line the tape up with my needle so it gives me a straight line to follow through to the point.


 As you can see though, I have added a second piece of tape. Why you might ask??? By adding that second piece of tape a half inch to the left of my needle, I am able to make HSTs as I go! I originally got this idea from Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew. She has such wonderful tips and tutorials!


It is an extra little step, but makes up for a lot in the end. So instead of having piles of cut offs....


 You get tons of HSTs ready to use for another project!


 
Obviously, the "sew as you go" technique is not a new one, but its new to me and I'm loving it!



No comments:

Post a Comment